- There is one difference between a tax collector and a taxidermist - the taxidermist leaves the hide. - Former IRS Commissioner Mortimer Caplin
- A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. - George Bernard Shaw
- It's time we tell the bar associations and the IRS to shove their opinions up their cash cows. - Rep. James Traficant
- The Eiffel Tower is the Empire State Building after taxes. - Anonymous
- [The Internal Revenue Code is] about 10 times the size of the Bible - and unlike the Bible, contains no good news. - Sen. Don Nickles
- [A tax loophole is] something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it is a tax reform. - Former Senator Russell B. Long
- Do senators introduce tax bills because the tax system is a mess? Or is the tax system a mess because senators introduce tax bills? - TAX NOTES columnist Martin A. Sullivan
- When there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income. - Plato
The quotes were collected by Jeffery L. Yablon, a partner in the Washington, D.C. law firm of Shaw Pittman. The entire collection can be found on the Tax Analysts web site.
TAX NOTES is a weekly magazine covering federal, state, and international tax issues, with occasional forays into tax humor.
About Tax Analysts
Tax Analysts is an influential provider of tax news and analysis for the global community. Over 150,000 tax professionals in law and accounting firms, corporations, and government agencies rely on Tax Analysts' federal, state, and international content daily. Key products include Tax Notes, Tax Notes Today, State Tax Notes, State Tax Today, Tax Notes International, and Worldwide Tax Daily. Founded in 1970 as a nonprofit organization, Tax Analysts has the industry's largest tax-dedicated correspondent staff, with more than 250 domestic and international correspondents. For more information, visit our home page.
Media Release 2002-3